The Friends was chartered by the Maryland State Legislature on December 7, 1987, for the purpose of preserving and restoring the historic President Street Station. We met with various government members, other history organizations and interested individuals for support and fund raising. We held exhibits and group presentations to raise funds. We decided that establishing a Civil War Museum was the best way to preserve the building and tell the many stories that make the Station so valuable. We joined with a group of Civil War re-enactors who had been holding ceremonies and wreath hangings to draw attention to the plight of the Station. We gained 501(c)(3) status in August 1990.
We funded and gained National Register of Historic Places listing for the Station on September 10, 1992. After half of the roof collapsed in 1992, the City stabilized the building and proceeded to rehab it for use as a Civil War Museum. The Museum opened on April 12, 1997 with a parade, ceremony and Civil War Ball. The following April 19, the friends held a parade, ceremony and wreath laying to commemorate the April 19, 1861, Baltimore Riot. For two years, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum operated the Civil War Museum. Then the Museum was independent, before being taken over by the Maryland Historical Society They closed it in 2007.
The Friends obtained a right of entry to reopen in 2008. We now have a lease from the City and continue Museum operation. We initiated a marked Baltimore Civil War walking trail and give guided tours by appointment.